Each October 15th, we celebrate the Global Handwashing Day, and now, more than ever, we should be aware about the importance of washing our hands. The Covid-19 has proved the needed of hand hygiene in order to reduce the spread of disease. Handwashing is not only necessary because of this pandemic, there are multiple reasons why having access to clean water and soap is vital for health.
Today we have to spread the message and let everyone know about washing hands. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- It is estimated that washing hands with soap and water could reduce diarrheal disease-associated deaths by up to 50%
- Handwashing can reduce the risk of respiratory infections by 16%
- Handwashing with soap could protect about 1 every 3 young children who get sick with diarrhoea
- Good handwashing early in life may help improve child development in some settings
- Germs from unwashed hands can get into foods, drinks and can be transferred to other objects
* Hygiene Fast Facts. Information on Water-relead Hygiene. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/fast_facts.html
Also, according to Unicef, approximately three out of five people had basic handwashing facilities in 2017, meaning that 4.5 billion people at the time are suffering lack of safely managed sanitation. Still today, people across the globe, live without access to one of the most basic human rights.
In areas, where the access to clean water is difficult and soap is not always available, the possibilities of spreading diseases are higher. This is why, it is importance to dedicate this date to create awareness about the importance of provide accessible handwashing as an effective way to save lives.
Global Handwashing Day was founded by the Global Handwashing Partnership and, for more than 10 years, we have been celebrating this day to promote the easy, effective and affordable way to prevent diseases.
At Dunster House, we truly believe that every business can make a global impact. This is why, over past years, we have been working to improve the situation and hope those who need it the most. In addition to our Latrines and Squatting Plates, which are providing a sanitation solution in emergency situations, we have been working as a consultant and manufacturing partner of Oxfam GB, in a project, supported by the Humanitarian Innovation Fund. Now, after more than three years and different field trials, our Handwashing Kit is finally becoming a reality.
Our Hand Washing Kit provides a solution for adults and children across all the ages living in displacement camps and situations of humanitarian crisis.
Let’s make handwashing accessible for those who need it the most and share the theme “Hand hygiene for all”!